Christ is Risen! He is Risen indeed!
Happy Easter!
Today, a partner in crime and I went chalk grafiti-ing all over campus, sharing messages of "Christ the Lord is Risen today" and "Alleluia" and "Amen". We were out in the early morning. All was quiet, and it was cool...very cool outside. It, strangely, did not seem to be the time for much conversation. BOth of us were just taking in the morning, each of us, I suspect, thinking about the impact of Easter on our lives. We chalked all the cottages that had kids in them.
And then we came to Leigh Cottage-- or the remains of it, anyway. And I'm not sure what came over me, but it seemed like the right thing to do. And so I put messages of "Where, O Death, is your sting? Where your victory?" and "Up from the grave he arose" and "He conquered death, and He lives!". It seemed the fitting thing to do, standing in front of what now seems to be hallowed ground, as hallowed, perhaps, as Arlington or Gettysburg. A piece of our lives that is no more. A place that sheltered so many, and too, watched the coming-of-age of lots of people.
"Where is your sting, O Death"? seems a funny thing to write there. Because it did sting. It still stings when we look at it. But the hope of Easter is that death and destruction don't get the last word.
Ever.

No comments:
Post a Comment