The Story of the Dinner Party
15That triggered a response from one of the guests: "How fortunate the one who gets to eat dinner in God's kingdom!" 16-17Jesus followed up. "Yes. For there was once a man who threw a great dinner party and invited many. When it was time for dinner, he sent out his servant to the invited guests, saying, 'Come on in; the food's on the table.' 18"Then they all began to beg off, one after another making excuses. The first said, 'I bought a piece of property and need to look it over. Send my regrets.'
19"Another said, 'I just bought five teams of oxen, and I really need to check them out. Send my regrets.' 20"And yet another said, 'I just got married and need to get home to my wife.' 21"The servant went back and told the master what had happened. He was outraged and told the servant, 'Quickly, get out into the city streets and alleys. Collect all who look like they need a square meal, all the misfits and homeless and wretched you can lay your hands on, and bring them here.' 22"The servant reported back, 'Master, I did what you commanded— and there's still room.' 23-24"The master said, 'Then go to the country roads. Whoever you find, drag them in. I want my house full! Let me tell you, not one of those originally invited is going to get so much as a bite at my dinner party.'"
Truthfully, I've not spent a whole lot of time pondering this passage. I've just finished reading The Other Boleyn Girl and I know from reading that, that when a King orders a banquet everyone shows up, whether they want to or not. But I guess this particular story doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, because who wouldn't want to come to a big affair to which they've been invited? "Not I, said the Fly" I love to get all dressed up and pretend I'm really somebody.
And so, thinking our young folks would feel the same, I embarked on a big undertaking. I made up my mind that they should have a dinner before prom-- a really nice, formal affair, with four forks instead of one. I went over and talked to them, and they told me what they would like served, and how much fun they thought it would be. And so I spent great amounts of time Thursday, Friday and Saturday making this a phenomenal affair. Finally the time rolls around for the dinner, and I learn that I have just given up my whole weekend to make a very lovely, very expensive dinner...for one! That's right, all those girls who wanted me to do this for them, were too busy. We did, however, have a very lovely night, and the young lady who showed up seems to have had a fabulous time. (She was, afterall, the queen of the dinner). We even called around and invited some other folks in, and perhaps, it was the way it was supposed to be (though certainly not the way the evening looked in my mind's eye.)
Though I was disappointed, I certainly don't fault the girls. I remember what it was like to be so excited and so nervous and so just ready for the dang thing to get here already. But the more I ponder the event, the more I wonder if this is somehow the way God might feel when we put other things before God. I think this strange little passage is saying that God hopes we will come to God's banquet not because we have nothing better to do, but because GOd's banquet is the best of our offers. I think that what this passage is saying is that God wants to be Lord not only of our worst agendas, but even over our best ones.

1 comment:
Oh Kim, I'm so sorry they didn't come. I know that must have been so disappointing... Kudos to you for trying to do something that would make the kids feel special!!
-Julie
Post a Comment