The other day I spoke to the Auxillary, and because people are always asking about my job and the ways I've been surprised by Christ sneaking into my world, I thought I'd post part of what I said to them. Ellen set the theme using a few picnic baskets, and told the story of the Loaves and the Fishes.
One of my first memories involves a picnic blanket I still use, almost two decades later. I remember being at a church retreat at our denomination's camp, and two men, who would later become my youth leaders, were singing a song called "Have you seen Jesus my Lord." I remember being by the lake, flopped on my belly, watching the Sunset. It was a holy time. The only problem was that the song didn't make much sense to me. Its chorus says this, "Have you seen Jesus my Lord? He's here in plain view. Take a look, open your eyes, he'll show it to you." Ok, fine. I got that part. But when it came to one of the verses that said, "Have you ever stood in the family, with the Lord there in your midst; seen the face of Christ on each other? Then I say, You've seen Jesus my Lord". As a four year old, I looked around at all those people who had helped raise me and thought "Dude, I don't know what you're talking about... that's mom and dad, and joe, and greg, and jonathan, and Amy. Jesus isn't on their faces!"
And now here I am, still pondering that song. But now, I can understand the song, and know that I have had the opportunity to see Jesus in some really strange places.
I've seen Jesus covered in flour as we made Christmas cookies, a first experience for several of our youth.
I've seen Jesus wade through the destruction caused by a fire.
I've seen Jesus in the members of the community, as they've prayed for us, and given to us.
I've seen Jesus in a prom dress.
I've seen Jesus in a group of teenagers who do everything they can, often including rearranging their work schedules, to be at a Bible Study.
I've seen Jesus in a young woman (who might want my job?), who kicked me out of the pulpit so that she could preach and lead worship.
I've seen Jesus in a group of Student Council kids who really found out what it meant to be a leader, when they had the opportunity to serve at the Christmas banquet. I've seen Jesus dripping with sweat and smiling through exhaustion.
I've seen Jesus on a day when I was parading around in a Jester's hat. Jesus came to the Fat Tuesday pancake lunch, and I heard him laughing.
I've seen Jesus worshipping and clapping and learning to play the djembee in the chapel.
I've seen Jesus stand in front of the altar, and in the purest voice you've ever heard, sing Silent Night.
I've seen Jesus early Easter morning, as a parter and I went out to spread the news of "He is Risen" in chalk.
And I've even seen Jesus, coloring and playing with Mr. Potato Head in my office.
As I think back to the little blond headed girl, laying on her picnic blanket, pondering the words of what seemed to her, a very strange song, I think I'd tell her: I've seen Jesus my Lord! Indeed. He's here in plain view!"
Wednesday, April 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment