I love snow! Thus you can imagine how excited I was when it actually snowed here yesterday. Me and the husband and the pets all loaded up and went to look around UMCH-- figuring all would be beautiful, and the sounds of kids playing in the snow would be heard. But when we got here...it was indeed beautiful, but there were no sounds of playing children--anywhere. And the more I looked around, the more I realized that there were no tracks anywhere on campus. It appears that either no one had ventured out or that the tracks had all been covered. And some part of me was sad. Somewhere in my head, some very childish voice said "Where's the playtime?" As I tried to shhh the voice with excuses like "Oh the kids are probably still in bed" or "maybe they don't want to be cold", I realized that it was something deeper than that. We live in a society that tells us to work harder and harder and harder, and that playtime is for children. We tell ourselves that we'll play when we finally get caught up, but as a perenial do-er, I've realized that the blessed "caught up ness" never comes.
And some part of me thinks that God frowns when he gives us a beautiful day and no one is out enjoying it. The catechism that I learned as a kid starts off with this question, "What is man's chief end?" And answers, "Man's chief end is to glorify God and ENJOY him forever."
If you'll excuse me-- I'm off to enjoy God's creation. I'm headed out into the freezing cold, and I'm going to have a little holy play time before chapel. Please don't laugh if you see me giggling on the swingset.

2 comments:
Wow. What an eye opening realization. thanks for sharing.
That makes me sad too. When I pulled in on Monday I looked around for signs of melting snowmen or remnants of snowball fights, but alas, I didn't see anything that indicated our kiddos had been out enjoying the day. Hopefully we're wrong though...
Post a Comment