Thursday, December 13, 2007

My new favorite Christmas memory

I have tons of Chistmas memories--many, many of them amazing and great, and some too, not so great. Until this week, my two favorite Christmas memories were baking Christmas cookies with my childhood friend the year before she died, and singing a duet of "Silent Night" with my dad in church. But this week, I think, those memories have moved over (not down!) a notch or two.

We, Religious Life staff and volunteers, bombarded several cottages, and armed with cookie sheets and pot holders, and sprinkles galore, brought cookie making to new heights. Ok, ok...so at first, I was way excited about the cookie making itself. I mean seriously, who doesn't love the smell (my husband's favorite candle is devoted to the smell of freshly baked Christmas cookies!), who doesn't love the excitement?

But as I watched these young people-- the girls carefully cutting out and artfully decorating, the boys slinging flour on each other--I thought, "Aha!" Perhaps for some of them, this was the most "family" time they had had in a while. Perhaps, for several of them, this was a chance to really be kids and do "kid" things. And I wonder, how many of them have ever gotten to do that?

I'm probably ten pounds heavier after all this cookie making, but for someone who was looking to see the face of Christ this Christmas, I'm that much richer. One of my favorite songs asks, "Have you seen Jesus my Lord?", and answers, "He's here in plain view, Take a look, open your eyes, he'll show it to you!...Have you ever stood in the family, With the Lord there in your midst, Seen the face of Christ on each other? Then I say, you've seen Jesus, my Lord!" Today, the Lord just happened to be covered in flour.

No comments: